
Fresh snow on the Rocky Mountain Front.
Fall in Montana has never been that long - usually at least a couple of weeks. This year, I'm not sure it lasted more than a few hours. The leaves starting turning, then it began to snow and the temperature plummeted. This morning, after a night of temperatures in the low teens, all the green leaves on the trees that didn't have a chance to show off their bright autumn colors, are now blanketing the ground.

Turkeys try their hand at gardening.
The turkeys are as resilient as ever, just eating more to stay warm. I put them on the spent garden to let them work the ground a bit and eat up weed seeds and cabbage and chard leaves. Because it's going to get down to around 4 degrees in the next couple of nights, my lovely wife and I herded the whole bunch from the garden back into the brooder, where they're at least out of the wind and wet. It looks as though it will warm back up a bit, at which time I'll likely herd them all back to the garden for as long as possible before I go over the ground with the tractor (I hope - unless it's too wet or the ground freezes).

Turkeys love chard, but who doesn't?

Shivering turkeys! It's snowing!
Do you think this is a harbinger of the winter to come? Geesh, I hope not...
ReplyDeleteHi! What a lovely farm you have! Gosh....I thought it was cold here....but not 5 degrees (yet.) I am excited to have stumbled upon your blog! My husband and I run a small vegetable farm in Colorado. I hope it warms up a little for you and the turkeys! Take care,
ReplyDeleteSara