Of Mice and Men and Weed Seeds


My new friend - notice the blood rushing to its head.

The mouse saga continues, but good news, as I see it. First a little backup. I attended a farm tour in Big Sandy and a handful of Montana State U. profs were talking about their research. Though not part of his research, one mentioned hearing of a study of small mammals and the weed seed banks in farm fields. Apparently, small mammals (such as mice) are wonderful allies in the elimination of weed seeds. One field in the study saw an 80% decrease in the weed seed bank due to small mammals.

What this requires, of course, is good mouse habitat of diverse grasses on the field edges or in unproductive fields. Though it appears I'm already providing good habitat for mice, it's obviously not in the right places. The researcher cautioned spilling crop seed, otherwise the small mammal will eat that and be satiated.

The first thing I did when I got back to the Farm was pull all the traps from the greenhouse and the turkey brooder and set a live trap in their place. It didn't take long before I had my first mouse which I took to the far southeast corner of my lentil/emmer field where I let it go and told it to get to work.


Lydia inspects the trap and wishes she could check out the inside.

3 comments:

  1. I'm noticing the look of gratitude in the little mouse's eyes...

    It's funny how we can look at something as a nuisance, but with reconsideration and a change in thinking, that nuisance can become something positive. Thank you for planting this seed...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You almost have me thinking about it. Almost.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are beginning to see what you do in a very different way. The Dalai Lama would applaud your mindful efforts. And, of course, the mice will come to love you. Any thoughts on the benefits of pack rats? Ours are waiting for your saving ideas.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...