I swathed the lentils last week. Lentils are poor weed competitors and mine didn't come up as thick as I'd planted them, so there was a wide diversity of weeds to fill the gaps. Nobody can say my field was a monocrop, that's for sure. Even though the lentils are dry, there was so much green material in the field, I had to swath it all so it could dry out. Once it's all dried out, I'll go back in and pick up the windrows with a combine that has a pick-up header attachment. Actually, my very helpful neighbor (who I borrowed the swather from), will likely pick up my lentils with his combine since the combines I have available aren't ready yet - more on that in a blog post coming soon.

The roller on the back packs the windrow down just a bit so it doesn't blow away.

Cutting.

The finished field. So nice and tidy.
No comments:
Post a Comment