My Favorite Farm Tool

A diversified farm needs diversified equipment. With so many specialty crops and each needing its own tool, I feel very lucky to have one piece of equipment that -- with just a little alteration and imagination -- can do most jobs.

I picked this up a few years ago. I'd been admiring it since I was a kid on the farm and finally, I grabbed it. The last few weeks, I got to put it into action.

First, it was a manure spreader, shoveling manure out of the pickup as I drove across the field.

Then, later, it was a bed maker:



Look at the great beds it makes! It even plants them! Get ready for beets and carrots!



It digs ditches!





And, if you didn't think it was versatile enough, it's also a record-keeping system!





Most of all, "it" is a great husband.

Someday, we'll be able to afford a manure spreader, a bed maker and a ditch witch. But, for now, as is the case with most small farmers, all we have are strong backs and tough hands. That's enough for now.

2 comments:

  1. At first I thought you were talking about a pitchfork! I'm glad to know there is someone else who is willing to use their muscles more often then the tractor or other power machine. With fuel prices back on the rise I think twice about using the tractor.
    ~David

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha Courtney! As I caught on to what your favorite farm tool actually was (there was a familiar figure in each of those photos...), I laughed out loud. Come to think of it, I have a farm tool that is very similar! :-D Who knew that Jacob and Jim had so much in common!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...