
Inside of the greenhouse.

Outside of the greenhouse.
Okay, so that's not true. This is a beautiful church in New York City. I was visiting my good friend Kevin a couple weeks ago and his apartment overlooks the Trinity Church and its cemetery. Alexander Hamilton is buried there.
Here is our "new" greenhouse, sans stained glass:

Since we've run out of room in our sunroom, we recently moved our onions and scallions out to the farm and put them under these hoops and row cover in the existing, unheated greenhouse. There's a space heater on the end of each hoop structure so when it's 15 degrees outside at night, it stays a cozy 40 degrees under the hoops. We peel back the row cover during the day so the little seedlings get lots of good light. It's a few extra steps but it's what we have to do and it works.
I ran the tractor over our vegetable field with the disk last weekend and it looks so nice and soft. I want to plant myself in that field.

The field.
Hooray for spring! LOVE the new greenhouse. Lovely, for sure.
ReplyDeletethat first greenhouse looked a little dark anyway.
ReplyDeletei couldn't dream of putting a tractor on our field yet! it is so soggy here!
Boyles Family: Yes, the high arches sure are lovely. We're just praying our plants do well in it. Ha!
ReplyDeleteStaci: I just heard our area's snowpack is 50% of normal. That's going to hurt later in the season. Enjoy that sogginess and bring some with you the next time you're in GF.
I hope you all get some rain to makeup for the below normal snowpack.
ReplyDeleteHere in northern Michigan we did not get much snow either,and the whole month of March we got no snow or rain and it got quite dry. But now we just got 2+inches of rain these past few days so things are looking good.
As a suggestion, Try planting some of your plants further apart this year than you normally would. This way uses less water but you may still get the same yields as the plants under irrigation. For more on this concept look up this link http://books.google.com/books?id=7ixEAAAAYAAJ&ots=UcdME4WcUP&dq=Campbell's%20soil%20culture%20manual&pg=PA1#v=onepage&q&f=false
Thanks for the link, David. I'm always on the lookout for dryland crop information, especially older stuff. I worked with a farmer in north-central Montana (further east than where I am now) for a couple of years conducting dryland vegetable experiments. Check out the website I put together (though it's incomplete): http://www.quinnorganic.com/.
ReplyDeleteLast year, I built a waffle garden to trap moisture (no supplemental irrigation). I kind of neglected it with everything else going on, but hope to revive the experiment this year.
The greenhouse looks great! Our greenhouse (shelf below south-facing window) is getting the plants ready for our farm (community garden plot at St. Andrews in Billings.) The first little seedling poked it's head up today!
ReplyDeleteHey Jacob...another Jacob here...Dakota Jacob? I am wondering why you start onions from seed. I used to do that and it frustrated me to death. Now I just buy field grown starts and forget about it. Otherwise, how is life?
ReplyDeleteHey there, Dakota Jacob. Life is good. Rather crazy, but crazy is the new normal. How's farming/coffee-housing life? Yeah, I'm kind of frustrated with my onions. They don't seem to germinate all that well, but the ones that do, end up being rock stars in the field. I'm not sure if I'm seeding them too deep in the tray or if the "greenhouse" conditions aren't quite right. I just don't know. What did you learn in your onion seeding days?
ReplyDeletelouboutin outlet
ReplyDeletemichael kors handbags
nike cortez
true religion jeans
michael kors purses
nike air max uk
michael kors outlet
nike air max 90
valentino store
oakley outlet
louis vuitton pas cher
michael kors outlet
ed hardy outlet
polo ralph lauren outlet
ecco shoes
burberry
reebok uk
ugg outlet
calvin klein outlet
babyliss flat iron
ghd flat iron
fitflop uk
fitflops clearance
adidas superstars
under armour outlet
louboutin pas cher
coach purses
adidas gazelle
converse uk
toms outlet
ray bans
christian louboutin uk
stephen curry shoes
rolex watches
cartier glasses
toms wedges
kate spade outlet
running shoes
louis vuitton uk
michael kors outlet
20163.24wengdongdong