Farming: The Perfect Lesson in Surrender

Because I didn't have enough to do, I've started writing a monthly column about farming and coming home for both the Daily Yonder (a great online journal about rural issues) and my alma mater, as it were, New West (the online magazine about the Rockies I started gosh, six years ago now, and edited until I stepped away last year to farm and raise babies.)

The most recent column is about surrender, which I've written about before on the blog.

Here's the link to that column.

And the inaugural one is here.

I feel so very grateful to have an outlet, let alone two, for these writings. I've always promised myself I would write again if. If I could find the time, if it were the right circumstance, if I could just relax about it and not freak out about it not being good enough, if my house were clean, if I had a place to write... you get the idea.

Well, thanks to the encouragement of a few key people (the editor at Daily Yonder (thanks Bill!), the publisher and former editor at New West (thanks Lynn and Jule!) and my mother in law (thanks Marty!), I've stopped making all those excuses and just started sitting down to write.

It feels great.

As you might know, I never planned to farm, in fact I vowed not to. But, living in the country (hopefully soon), raising little ones (Willa is asleep in the sling as I type) and writing has been my dream of dreams since I was a kid.

Ironic then, that farming is making all of that happen, no?

Happy New Year from the Cowgill clan.

And, because I can't resist an opportunity to share how stinking cute our baby is, did you know we already have at least one strawberry growing? Meet Willa, the baby dinosaur in a berry costume:

Willa the Baby Dinosaur from conradcowgills on Vimeo.

1 comment:

  1. 1. keep writing, it's lovely!
    2. how is it that willa is already finding her velociraptor voice and sitting up on her own??? i'm pretty sure i just got jacob's email that she'd been born like, last tuesday. ;) sweetest little strawberry ever!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...