Emmer



I seeded 5 acres of emmer. Emmer is an ancient grain with wild ancestors dating to the late Paleolithic Age, 17,000 BC. Emmer has been cultivated since 10,000 BC and was used by early civilizations in the Near and Far East, Europe, and Northern Africa. The seed I used is a variety from the Montana State University Foundation Seed, called "Lucile" which was selected and grown out over a number of years.

To plant, I pulled the rod weeder in front of the drill to get one last shot at the weeds that had germinated after the sun after the snow. By pulling both implements, I was able to tackle two tasks in one shot, reducing soil compaction and fuel use. The setup is a bit awkward to pull around and turn, but it works.



Planting something that has been planted for thousands of years makes me feel like I'm part of some kind of continuum that connects us and what we're trying to create here at Prairie Heritage Farm with so many others before us.

3 comments:

  1. What is emmer used for? Is it a grain? Whom or what eats it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emmer can be used in cattle feed, but I'm growing it for food. It is used like wheat - in breads, pancakes, or it can be soaked whole, cooked, and used in salads. It's a highly nutritious grain with a story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for giving me my farm fix! I've been conversing with Courtney on facebook, but I wanted to let you know how fabulous it is to watch your adventures!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...